Monday, May 11, 2015

When you spend Mother’s Day being a MOM.


Not every Mother’s Day is going to be breakfast in bed, roses, spa treatments, shopping sprees, me time or fancy meals out.  Some Mother’s Days will be spent just being a Mom in a very unglamorous way and that’s okay, in fact that’s more than okay, because being a Momma is what got you the privilege of being honored on this day in the first place.

Let me start by saying that is by no means meant to be a dig on my husband.  I indeed did tell him that I didn’t want to do anything for Mother’s Day…so be careful what you ask for…you just might just get it. 
The morning started out…well…earlier than I had hoped for.  I had got home rather late from going over to a girlfriend’s to watch a movie.  At 1:45 AM my 11 month old uncharacteristically woke up crying, no settling her back down, so a bottle for little Miss was the fix.  Just as I was drifting back to sleep…say around 3:00 AM my 4 year old came in our room... in a quiet whisper….”Mommy, come lay down with me.” So off I went…down the hall…across the way….we snuggled in his twin sized bed.  There his allergies were getting the better of him…nothing quite like being sneezed on less than an inch from your face.  After tossing and turning…I got up to get him a tissue *the sniffling was out of control*.  While grabbing said tissue in the bathroom, I noticed that the sun was coming up.  Super.  We finally fell back asleep.  But then the baby woke up…so much for sleeping in.   

Propped up next to my coffee pot was a lovely card from my husband.  “You’re the greatest mother and wife the kids and I could ask for, don’t change anything.” Wonderful…I wasn’t planning on it.  Was this to be a precursor for the day?
My husband asked if he could microwave me a muffin…mmmm….no that’s okay.  I counter, “How about a mimosa?”.  To which he replied…”How about a Bloody Mary? I cleaned out the fridge and there’s an old container of mix that’s been in there awhile and needs to be used so that I can throw it in the recycling.” Well doesn’t that just sound irresistible….yes, please. I’ll take that God knows how old Bloody Mary that happens to have JUST enough for ONE cocktail, sounds greeeeaaat.  He gives me my drink…no garnish. The disappointment starts to creep in.

The plan all along was for him to go see his mother for a bit…take the kids so that I could do whatever, organize*which I happen to love*, garden, go to the gym…whatever.  But the baby was sleeping and the 4 year old was very comfortable in his weekend uniform of underwear…and nothing else. So I told him to go solo, tell his family I said hello and I’d see him later.  Well naturally the baby woke up the minute he closed the front door.  And this begun the highlight of my day…the kids and I played for hours, and hours….and well hours…he was gone a long time.  We had so much fun and it made me sad that I miss this kind of activity day in and day out while I’m at work.  But darn it…I hadn’t gotten dressed yet and it was after 3:00 PM.  I had dealt with more poop then I wish to go into detail about throughout the day.  Had done four loads of laundry and was ready for a break. I'm quickly reminded why I like to work. Once he was home I may have not been super thrilled or nice for that matter.  It was too late for any of my projects, too late to go to the gym…but what it wasn’t too late for…was for me to make dinner.  He took the kids for a walk, because I was not “decent” to be out in public *my call, not his*. And then we all sat down together and had a lovely meal.  I may have not gotten dressed for the day…but I had the most important people sitting beside me.  I love my precious little blessings more than anything else in life.  And while I may not hate being pampered, and will welcome that in the future.  It's not about me anymore and I'm good with that.  

After the kids went to sleep, the real fun began.  I looked around my house and realized that with a busy Saturday the day before nothing had got done that normally happens on the weekends.  So off I went….dusting, mopping, scrubbing and cleaning away.  With trash day being the next morning I wanted to run everything out.  I quickly realized that this would be the first time today I went out the front door….it was 10:55 PM….I put on some lip gloss….you just don’t ever know.

Once back inside and ready to jump into the shower and put on NEW pj’s….I expressed my frustration with how the day turned out to my husband….1) no pictures with the kids and I today…sad mommy….his solution….you can take a picture with them tomorrow…no one has to know.  2) I did all the cooking and cleaning today, like I do every day.  And his reply…well his reply is what I will end with.  “You didn’t make me breakfast, I fended for myself this morning….BECAUSE…it was Mother’s Day.”  Have mercy….there’s always next year.  And speaking of full circle…guess who got summoned at 3:30 AM again….that twin bed is starting to feel mighty comfortable!

Here is a photo of my beautiful family…not from yesterday of course, but another recent Sunday in which we all got dressed for the day.       

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're finally doing a blog. You'll do great at this. Don't forget to monetize!!

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's lesson: Motherhood is not glamorous, Mother's Day is not the exception! I've come to realize that my daughter shares her birthday with Mother's day. So more times than not in years to come the weekend will revolve around celebrating her and her birthday. and I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to you and your sweet girl April!!!

      Delete