Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Patience for the Picky Eater.

Tonight’s dinner for my 4 year old consisted of blueberries, a slice of cheddar cheese, a bowl of cheerios, ¾ of toasted pub bun (which happened to belong to my salmon burger, that I’m happy to share, I don’t need the calories), a plate of baked steak fries and a 50/50 mix of OJ and water.  Don’t judge…if you are the proud parent of a picky eater, you understand.    I NEVER understood…until I had a picky eater.  The only thing I didn’t like as a child was liver and onions and beef tongue *both VERY reasonable dislikes* and mashed potatoes…maybe a texture thing…maybe they were instant??? Who knows…I’ll still pass on the liver and onions and beef tongue today…but bring me a plate of garlicky, cheesy mashed potatoes and I’m all in! Which gives me hope for my son…picky today….a foodie tomorrow!?!  But that still doesn’t mean that I don’t get frustrated from time to time….for example:  Are you eating freaking chicken nuggets this week or not????


 In my freezer I’ve got 3 different varieties of “nuggets”…Dino…which were popular for some time….Micky Mouse….less popular *mostly rejected* and “regular” which seem to be hit or miss.  What the hell??? A chicken nugget is a chicken nugget, right??? Not so much…As far as I’m concerned they’re all nasty.  But my son, he knows what he likes and what's unacceptable.  Right now nuggets are out.  Maybe tomorrow they will be in.  Who knows!?!  This is why I keep them all until they’re gone, collecting freezer burn.   I know this for sure.  I don’t believe that for one minute at 22 he’ll only being eating a strict diet of peanut butter, pancakes, grilled cheese, fruit, yogurt, cucumbers, carrots and gummies.  So maybe I should go ahead and make a reservation for him and I….in the spring of 2033 at French Laundry in Napa?  As a sign of faith.  I would have never thought that I’d be sad that my child wouldn’t eat pizza or mac & cheese.  I should be celebrating this…not upset!  I know that this kid in going to turn the corner at some point and be stealing my salad and asking to order a whole pizza….as for now…as long as he has a fruit, veggie and a reasonable amount of protein in a 24 hour period, I’m happy! 
And for all you parents who have toddlers loving on quinoa, kale and tofu…congratulations.  I’m happy for you.  But guess what, that doesn’t make you a superior parent.  So if you roll your eyes at my cheese stick-breakfast bar-fruit leather loving son one more time…your eyes are going to stay in the back of your head!   Just saying…we all should pick our battles…within our walls and outside of them too.

2 comments:

  1. A...freakin....MEN sister!! I am also the proud parent of a picky eater and I understand you. Boy, do I get it. I have hope for them! We just keep doing the best we can :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A...freakin....MEN sister!! I am also the proud parent of a picky eater and I understand you. Boy, do I get it. I have hope for them! We just keep doing the best we can :)

    ReplyDelete