Friday, May 22, 2015

Celebrating the Simple!

It is oh so true what they say…whoever “they” are.  That life is about enjoying the simple things.  The small victories are what makes our heart sing.  And for me, this couldn’t be more on point.

This has been a great week.  I was productive at work.  I kept my family alive to see another weekend.  And at the moment, we are all healthy.  Praise the LORD.  I didn’t realize how appreciative I’d be to have all four of us healthy at the same time.  You’d think that this would be an easy task, not so much.  My heart breaks for all of those who have to deal with chronic or serious illness! This day to day stuff is exhausting and I know that it could be so much worse.  The annoying childhood germ bugs that can’t be avoided are the bane of my existence.  One child gets sick, then the other the following week, then Dad, then Mom.  Sometimes all at once, that’s fun.  But usually it is evenly distributed over the course of a month.  So much so that I don’t remember what “healthy” feels like.  But then one day…no one is sick.  And I think…we should never leave the house AGAIN.  EVER.

Speaking of my house.  It, at the moment is not falling down around our ears.  The floors are clean, everything is wiped down and looking good.  But don’t look in the hallway, there you’ll find 5 loads of clean, unfolded laundry, chilling getting super wrinkled and don’t go into the garage, you could get hurt!! But overall, not too shabby!  The kids aren’t home just yet, so this is only going to last another 10 minutes or so.

I’ve stocked my fridge and pantry for the week.  No foreseeable need to venture out this weekend.  Which gives me an unreasonable amount of joy and happiness. Hold that thought, was just informed by the hubby that the keg is tapped out and we need beer for the long weekend….off to Costco I go.  It would have felt weird to not join the masses anyway.

I offered to do something for someone and I actually did it.  No need to go into the details.  But we’ve all been there.  Offer to do something nice and not labor intensive, but there is no immediate need.  And you forget, that is until you see that person again and feel like a jackass.  But I’m no jackass this week.  I offered and executed.  Win.

I put photos in my daughter’s photo album.  It was 6 pictures.  But still…it’s a start!!

And lastly.  I had ONE baby gift, ONE first birthday gift and FIVE out of town graduation gifts to package and mail.  Before the baby outgrew the onesie, before the toddler had moved past the baby puzzles and before it was no longer 2015 and the gifts that I purchased with “Class of 2015” peppered all over them were no longer relevant (because that has happened circa 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, for which I apologize).  And I DID it, I boxed them up, wrote in cards and drove my tooshie to my nearest Postal center.  I’m pretty sure that I either danced or skipped on my way out of the Post Office, SO HAPPY.  This is my life.  Timely mailings of cards and packages equal pride and victory and I’m going to relish in the moment.  How I came to this place is a mystery, but more importantly I don’t care and I’m feeling pretty good about myself! 

This momma is celebrating a hugely uneventful, yet so successful week.  Starting with a glass of wine….and if I want to go for the gold…maybe I’ll start folding.  

2 comments:

  1. Cheers to the productively uneventful week! -- totally get it and totally relate to the feeling out of place not being part of the masses engaging in holiday chaos shopping and crazy traffic. I just thought last night "wow, Susan, you didn't wait until Friday at 5:00 to go shopping..." And I thought I was the only one that despised laundry not being folded right of the dryer. I always used to tell my former husband "it is not helpful for you to remove the clothes from the dryer and not fold them or at least lay them flat until I get to them ... that's not how you help me do laundry..." (former husband ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I may have or may have not mentioned the "D" word to Kip for "helping me" with washing load after load *like 6 full/large cycles* that included zero folding. KILLS ME!!! That IS NOT HELPING!! He might as well adopt 4 monkeys while he's at it!! ;-)

      Delete